Construction work starts on Marks Barfield’s 82 Baker Street Project

Construction has started on the extensive refurbishment of 82 Baker Street, a 100,000 sq ft development by Lazari Investments Ltd designed jointly by architects Marks Barfield and interior designer Forme UK with offices for leading creative agency Publicis, who return to the building in the summer of 2014 on completion of the project. Central to the scheme is a new glass atrium which unifies the space and helps create an energy and space efficient refurbished building. A bespoke designed glass stair links all the office spaces together encouraging social interaction and the chance encounter and ascends up to a new roof terrace with great views of the West End. The atrium allows “positive friction” between the various floors.

Lazari Investments said, “This development is key to our desire to enhance the heritage and reinvigorate Baker Street”.

Originally designed by Robert Lutyens (son of Edwin Lutyens) as the Marks & Spencer HQ in 1904, Marks Barfield will restore the building’s civic stature by emphasizing the verticality of the Portland Stone pilasters and historical proportions through colour, material restoration and an upgrade to the fenestration. Existing windows for all elevations will be replaced with new high performance steel framed windows to compliment the period building. The new windows will be double glazed and comply with Approved Document Part L with enhanced acoustic properties.

Following extensive demolition, the interior improvements to the office building will comprise of extensive structural modifications while incorporating new toilet cores, passenger lifts, perimeter fed low energy mechanical ventilation systems and lighting throughout. The interior design has been developed to compliment the building’s heritage and the tenant’s requirements by utilising existing structural geometry alongside contemporary finishes; giving rise to an exciting, refreshing and modern workspace.

The new atrium bridged over the proposed courtyard will provide a physical link between the original building, built in 1904, and the 1936 addition. The two buildings will be linked at the first, second, third and fourth floors. The design of the proposed atrium will provide a bright and airy space at the heart of the building that will encourage social interaction and offer a quality workspace environment. The cladding of the proposed atrium will consist of a frameless double glazed system that will function as a “veil”, adding a degree of privacy for views in and out. This will be achieved through the treatment of the glass with an in­terstitial fabric.

Read more about the project.